Living Life True to Your Own Nature: Your Personal Rules May Not Make Sense To Others

Dear Dorothy, I avoid violence on TV and in movies because I have a sensitive nature and feel my role in the world is to help create peace and be a healer. But my family likes this type of entertainment a lot, especially my husband who I only get to be with in the evenings. Often I end up watching these shows so that we can be together. They keep me up past my bedtime and the violence makes me feel awful afterwards. I feel traumatized after an evening of movie viewing. I really need to spend time with my family but what can I do to protect myself?
Dorothy: The combination of fatigue and exposure to pointless violence can definitely create havoc in the system. Almost all children are aware of this, but for a variety of reasons most lose this sensitivity as they go into adulthood. A large portion of our adult society is not tuned into themselves with genuine sensitivity and therefore doesn't register the effects of this behavior on their body, mind and emotions. 
The fact that you perceive the effect of these behaviors is a great strength and the first step in self protection. As you progress in your abilities to read energy patterns and help the world, you will very likely find yourself more sensitive to mindless violence, rather than less.
What you can do is to be very true to yourself. Watch TV until bedtime and then excuse yourself. Others must make their own decisions about when to sleep and when to stay up, but you have control over this decision for yourself. 
Also, if you want to be with your husband but are not interested in the content of the show, you could sit with him or snuggle with him, but have your own project on hand, such as putting family photos in an album, or sewing, even reading something uplifting. 
Another great way to approach TV and movie violence, especially if you are in a theater and can't do another activity, is to use your healing ability to counter the effects of the violence you are seeing and hearing. This takes a shift of attention and requires that you witness everything on the screen rather than be sucked in by it. I find that closing my eyes helps with this. Awareness on the self in the present moment is the key. Each wave of darkness becomes a gift which meets your light and the cosmic dance of transformation becomes the actual show. When your abilities expand you will be able to do this for others as well as yourself. At this point, the violence in the movie becomes the tool to allow you to leverage your healing abilities. The world, those who produced the movie, and all those who will ever watch it benefit from its existence through effects of your work.
What we choose to put our attention on can be compared to dietary choices. If we eat unsuitable food, it can cause indigestion. If we spend time attending to very dark, painful experiences, it can cause mental and emotional turmoil. If we hang out with people who are self damaging, we can be sucked into their dramas. With family, we must establish boundaries. I am sure that your husband values your company as much as you do his. So, maybe some of the evenings the two of you can do things that are fun for both of you. You have the right to request this.

Comments